The Legend of Mavis Beacon
I was thinking of what typing software to get for my wife’s parents. I learned typing with “Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing”. Looks like I’ve become much more inquisitive since then, because the question of “Who the hell is/was Mavis?” immediately came into my mind.
The history section of mavisbeacon.com was suspiciously “under construction”, so I started my search elsewhere.
Here is some great useless information that I dug up:
- She does not age, but her hair style and skin color changes in different software versions.
- She might fight terrorism.
- This post is way off base, Captn Crunch is very, very real.
- She has a competitor, one Mavis Bacon.
- Mavis Bacon can perform feats of space management.
- Seems like this New York Times article solved the problem, but I am too lazy to go through their payment screens.
So she was not real after all…
By the way, does anyone know of a program that would check grammar an punctuation as well as spelling?
Damn, it’s almost 3:30 AM.